Maintaining healthy eyesight has become more complex than ever in our modern, screen-dominated lives. Long periods spent in front of digital gadgets, environmental stressors, and lifestyle choices can all contribute to vision deterioration. However, the good news is that there are several natural and efficient methods for improving and maintaining your vision. In this tutorial, we share some vital tips and expert advice that should help you improve your eyesight naturally without falling back on any medicine or surgical procedure. This blog article was compiled after taking input from one of the best eye doctors in Jalandhar, Dr Sanjeev Duggal. He is currently the Medical Director of Duggal Eye Hospital Jalandhar.
- Healthy Diet. What is on your plate may well impact your vision quality. Maintaining a nutrient-rich diet is an important aspect of naturally enhancing the quality of your eyesight. The diet you take should be nutritious, with adequate vitamins and minerals. To keep your eyes healthy, you need zinc omega-3 fatty acids, besides vitamins A, C, and E, in good proportion. Accordingly, consume more carrots, spinach, kale, citrus fruits, almonds, and fatty fish to ensure your eyes get the nutrients they require.
- Drink sufficient clean water: Your eyesight and overall health require you to drink a lot of water. Your eyes might get dry if you don’t drink enough water. Without adequate intake of water, your eyes might experience discomfort and strain while seeing. To keep your eyes healthy, make sure you drink enough water every day.
- Observe 20-20-20 Rule: “The 20-20-20 Rule is something that ophthalmologists often tell their patients. This is a simple but effective way to ease eye strain, especially for people who use digital devices with screens that give off light for prolonged periods” ” says Dr Sanjeev Duggal. “Following the Rule means taking a 20-second break every 20 minutes and focusing on something 20 feet away. This habit is suitable for your eyes because it relaxes the muscles in your eyes and keeps you from getting digital eye strain“, adds Dr Duggal.
- Eye Exercises: Regular spells of eye exercises help your eyes get more muscular and focus better. On a daily basis, you can do easy things like eye rolls, focusing on close and far away objects, and palming to make your eyes more flexible and coordinated. People who read or work on computers for extended amounts of time will love these exercises.
- Adequate & regular sleep cycles. How well you see depends on how much sleep you get proportionate to your age. Hence, ensure you get enough sleep. Your eyes rest and heal while you sleep, which keeps them from getting tired and stressed. If you are an adult in your middle years, you need to sleep for six to eight hours straight every night to keep your eyes healthy.
- Use protective eyewear. Do everything you can to keep your eyes safe from UV rays. UV light that stays in the eye for a long time can cause problems with your eyesight, like cataracts and macular degeneration. When you’re outside, use quality sunglasses that are capable of blocking 100% of UV rays and keep your eyes safe and insulated from harmful radiation.
- Quit Smoking: Eye diseases like cataracts (Motiyabind) and age-related macular degeneration are more likely to occur if you smoke. Giving up smoking is good for your health in general and can help you keep your eyesight.
- Stress Management: Chronic Stress impacts your eyesight. To alleviate your anxiety, deep breathing, meditation, and yoga are all stress-relieving activities that can help you rest and relax your eyes. Managing your stress is also good for your health, which includes your eyes and body as a whole.